Princeton University - No. 1 National University in the USA
The 2016 U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges ranking list was published last week.
There are over 4,000 degree awarding institutions in the United States of America and the US News holds data on approximately 1,800 of these, though they only publish data for around 1,300 colleges.
The US News categorizes the institutions into the following groups;
National Universities - offer a full range of undergraduate majors, plus master's and doctoral programs, and emphasize faculty research.
National Liberal Arts Colleges - focusing almost exclusively on undergraduate education. They award at least 50 percent of their degrees in the arts and sciences.
Regional Universities - offer a broad scope of undergraduate degrees and some master's degree programs but few, if any, doctoral programs.
Regional Colleges - focusing on undergraduate education but grant fewer than 50 percent of their degrees in liberal arts disciplines. The Regional Colleges category also includes schools that have small bachelor's degree programs but primarily grant two-year associate degrees.
Regional Universities and Regional Colleges are further divided and ranked in four geographical groups: North, South, Midwest and West.
The US News uses the following categories;
- Undergraduate Academic Reputation (22.5%)
- Retention Rate (22.5%)
- Faculty Resources (20%)
- Student Selectivity (12.5%)
- Financial Resources (10%)
- Graduation Rate Performance (7.5%)
- Alumni Giving Rate (5%)
The National Universities top 10 are as follows;
1. Princeton University - Princeton NJ
2. Harvard University – Cambridge MA
3. Yale University – New Haven CT
4. Columbia University – New York NY
4. Stanford University – Stanford CA
4. University of Chicago – Chicago IL
7. Massachusetts Institute of Technology – Cambridge MA
8. Duke University – Durham NC
9. University of Pennsylvania – Philadelphia PA
10. California Institute of Technology – Pasadena -CA
10. Johns Hopkins University – Baltimore MD
Contact GetSet for more detailed information on ranking, fees, acceptance rates and much more.
Find out which institution is most suitable for you.